The Skelmorlie Aisle was added in 1636 to the old church of Largs In the manner of the time,
it was built by a local land owner Sir Robert Montgomerie of Skelmorlie,
as a burying place for himself and his wife Dame Margaret Douglas.
When the body of the church was demolished in 1802 the communicating arch was built up and this aisle or burial place left to stand on its own. The painted barrel vaulted timber ceiling was painted by the artist J . S Stalker in 1638.